Monday, December 3, 2007

turning blue and white green

We are getting ready to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah tomorrow night, and I have done a few things to make our holidays a little more environmentally-friendly this year. Using the same theme of reuse, reduce, recycle, here are some things I have done so far: I saved Hanukkah wrapping paper from last year, and rewrapped presents for my husband and daughter in it. (I even reused some of the gift tags from last year.) I did not make any major trips to the mall in my car, about 5 miles from my home. Instead, I shopped in my local downtown, where I could park my car and walk to different stores, cutting back on the gas I would need to drive to the mall. I also ordered a few things online. One of my husband's gifts includes a completely biodegradable, reusable water bottle. One of my daughter's gifts includes a previously owned outfit from an upscale kids' resale shop. Finally, I will recycle any wrapping paper we can't use next year, and all the potato peals from the 5-6 lbs of potatoes I grated for out latkes are busy biodegrading in our composter.

1 comment: