Friday, November 2, 2007

Why my greener life?

Welcome to my blog, an online forum with useful advice on how to lead a more environmentally-friendly life. Why did I call my blog 'my greener life'? I wanted to call it 'mygreenlife,' but frankly, I am not there yet. I am an urban professional, and like most of my counterparts, I drive a car, I heat my home with natural gas, and when I plug my laptop into the wall to blog, I not using wind power, but electricity from a big coal-fired power plant in my state. My husband and I want to lead more environmentally-friendly lives, but we cannot afford to install solar panels throughout our house. I applaud wealthy celebrities who choose to make such enormous, expensive changes, but for now, we are starting with the smaller things. We recycle almost every scrap of clean paper. We bought a compost machine last spring. We reuse our grocery bags, and turn off the lights when we leave a room.
I hope you will join me as I tell the blogging community about the simple, every-day life changes that almost all of us can make in order to reduce our impact on the environment. I look forward to blogging about mygreenerlife.

3 comments:

Beverly Stewart said...

I carry my water and coffee cups with me; and I bought recycled plastic grocery bags. Not much but a start.

Nice Job, Sarah!

Beverly

Saraman said...

I use napkins and rags that I actually wash. It's no big deal. But I still do use toilet paper and bathroom tissue!

I can't wait for Chicago to have a real recycling program.

Oh, I also changed most of my lightbulbs to those super-energy efficient ones.

Congratulations, Sarah!

Sara
p.s., Hi Beverly!

rlovinger said...

Big changes make a splash but small ones by many people add up.